Lost Password?   -   Register

Partner: Ponyzit   Jason Auric   Swissbronies   TeamSpeak

Drawing ponies! (Tutorial thread)
16.07.2013, 09:49
Drawing ponies! (Tutorial thread)
If you have questions about drawing ponies, or if you just want some (serious!) feedback for pictures, post them here:

A few rules:
-Don't post pictures if you just want people to see the images and don't actually want feedback!
-No offensive posts or feedback, even negative feedback can be told nice enough to not offend anybody.
-Spam will be deleted immediately!
-only questions about the topic! And if they're not serious... God help you...!

If you didn't get feedback, or if you didn't get an answer for your question: DO NOT REPOST IMMEDIATELY! Just wait at least 5 days until you quote your question and ask for an answer again.

This thread is not meant to get all shiny nice superb feedback!
You WILL get negative feedback! If you're not ready for that: DO NOT POST!

"I wish you guys to become such an high EQ a i have some day"
Best phrase 2014 <3 Thanks ACE. :3

[Image: 264913__safe_animated_parody_octavia_upv...haruko.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16.07.2013, 15:08
RE: Drawing ponies! (Tutorial thread)
Does it have to be ponies? Or can it also be unrelated things? I'd like to get some serious feedback on school related work, which would consist mostly of humans.
16.07.2013, 15:14 (This post was last modified: 16.07.2013 15:16 by InfectedPonyz.)
I'd suggest to open a separate thread for that, to keep it organized. (And some ponyfags just only want ponies, so yeah Ppsmile)

Edit: Thar http://bestpony.ch/showthread.php?tid=374

16.07.2013, 17:35
Oh boy! I love this idea! Fabulous I'll totally support it!
Cause I love to learn through the internet how to get better.

So let's start with this old BP one which everypony already knows!
Before you start with finding the "bad spots" keep in mind that thus is my very first drawing on a pc and with colours and I didn't knew much about photoshop.

Huehe I know where I would start with the criticism ^^... but it's your feedback, so go on, teach me everythin' master!

[Image: youtube_by_blackpegasuspics-d6dfu1g.jpg]
16.07.2013, 18:54 (This post was last modified: 16.07.2013 18:56 by Lena.)
It's an atmospheric picture, but it seems as if you have only used pure scales of white/grey/black which really bores down the colours.
Also I don't like how you can see the brush strokes in the background.

The hair looks very plasticy and in my opinion does not have enough details, also the ends of which are not fine enough.

There are parts of the shadow of the armor look very blotchy and not nicely blended, but I am a blending freak, so it might just be personal preference.

Also I simply don't like the colours of the oc, brown/red mane and black body is definitely not fitting for the "pastel ponies" I'd prefer a dark non pure grey and some lighter mane colour.

Don't get me wrong it is quite a good piece of work for a first piece, for a first try, there are just quite a few little mistakes, the ones I named are just the ones that bother me the most.
16.07.2013, 19:32 (This post was last modified: 16.07.2013 19:44 by Blake.)
- Ok
- Haha yeah, this is the first thing witch really "nerved" me when I looked at it again ^^
- Back then I had really trubles to make mane/hair and I just left it like it is, it really doesn't look so good ^^
- Ok I think about the colours could we discuss forever, I think a black body combined with brown mane doesn't look that abstract... even if it wouldn't fit into the show
- Thank you Rdwink, jap some mistakes, but I think for the time which I used to draw the pic, is it not very unlikely to make mistakes Shrug
And thanks for the helpful feedback (way more helpful than the last one RdsmilePwink)
27.07.2013, 00:13
And this one?

[Image: fertig2_by_blackpegasuspics-d6fb5op.jpg]
27.07.2013, 22:53
It's right that you wish with this thread to give a platform for hobby drawer and artists to get feedback for their art? So is it okay to post feedback myself, or do you wish to only get pictures.
I presume the the first would be the better for you (not having to respond to every single post), aswell as for the community, getting faster feedback and a larger variety of responses.
27.07.2013, 23:08
Here a few things:

- Even though you have very strong dark/light areas, you can work a lot more with shadows.
A bright light like the one the pony is holding doesn't shine on an object like this.
I'd suggest to use this light to really make the contours clear.
I took a few seconds to show you what I mean:
- About the clothing: Is the white edge meant to be fur? If so, you need to define a border and give it some texture. In general: Use textures. (which brings me to the next point: )

-It looks a bit plastic, all in all. There are several ways to simulate textures. To learn how to do it you can for example look at different materials in different conditions and look at how the light reacts. You don't always have to draw every single detail, sometimes it's enough to draw only the highlights. But those have to be drawn correctly. (You did that pretty good on the leather armor, but you have to do it everywhere.)

- I'd also suggest to change the way of drawing mane and tail. Currently it doesn't fit to your style. It looks not like hair, but rather like a form with bones and flesh and a coloured skin.

- As for shapes:
You'll have to work on the face. The snout is too long, mouth and nostrils are in the wrong position, the eyes look too stare-ish (show more emotion).
The ear is slightly too small and a bit in the wrong place. The sizes of the hooves don't match with eachother, and the right fore hoof has a too long under arm. Oh, and the horn is in the wrong place, but that is something hardly anybody gets right. Not because they couldn't do it, but just because they don't seem to care much.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text within the image on the left in to the text box below. This process is used to prevent automated posts.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)